01 May 2007

referrals and a little perspective

Referrals arrived today. Babies have been referred to families who were logged in through November 1, 2005. That means they completed a total of (6) days. April showers bring May flowers? uh, sort of. . . at least better than last month.

They still haven't released any files from the review room passed March 31, 2006. But, they have been at holding at that date for a couple of months now, so we hope that they will announce some progress soon.

So, for the perspective. We have been getting a ton of questions lately about the wait, how long it is taking, how long it will take, why, etc. etc. etc. I think it is very important for everyone to understand what we are dealing with - so, I give you "The Numbers":

There are two things to count:

"days"
We were logged in on June 6, 2006.
The CCAA has referred children to families through November 1, 2005.
That means they still have to finish (217) days of dossiers in order to get to ours.
Last month they finished (2) days.
This month they finished (6) days.
It took (4) months just to finish all of the days in October.

and then there are the

"dossiers and babies"
We are told that there are currently around 25,000 dossiers on file at the CCAA.
We are told they usually refer approximately 400-600 babies per month.
We are told the CCAA can only refer 10,000 children for International Adoption per year.

Lots of days, lots of files, lots of c-a-l-c-u-l-a-t-i-o-n-s . . . I think I need a drink!

When will we get our referral? anyone care to guess, anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're just a few days ahead of you, on May 30. I am guessing between June and November of '08. I know that's a big window, but that's the best guess I can make. If I HAD to narrow it down, I guess I'd pick August.

"M2" said...

Mt predictions are no good.
I have 301 days to go and can't get in the 200's.
I need a drink too