
Oh, how things have changed.
Remember junior high science? High school biology? I was just chatting with a junior high school teacher while getting my haircut last week and was shocked to find out that 7th, 8th and 9th graders no longer disect frogs. Well, they do, but not really . . . they do it virtually.
Just like everything else it seems, the art of disection has now turned high tech and apparently, froguts.com is the wave of the future. Check it out - you can do a demo on their website - it is actually very cool. It is as realistic as it probably could be. But, does anyone else mourn the loss of this REAL experience? I admit that science was not ever my favorite subject, and disection seemed totally disgusting to me at first. However, I am most definitely a "visual" learner and this kind of real interaction is part of the learning process. What's next? . . . virtual rye seed germination? I think we will have to screen our kid's school options and see if we can't find one that teaches this part of science the old fashioned way.
**UPDATED**
OK, before I get any other comments . . . I am not a little froggy hater - I love all of the earth's creatures - promise. But, maybe there could be a compromise? - (1) frog in the classroom for reality's sake? I need to do some more research since I am not sure how these little froggies are obtained in the first place (AFTER they have naturally passed on? like human cadavers?) I hope so. I guess I just wonder what is next. I think I would be a little more than uncomfortable to find out that the surgeon cutting into me completed their education with "virtual" operations. I will have to look into this further.
In the meantime, I leave you with PETA's comments, "CUT CLASS, NOT FROGS".
And, speaking of frogs - I think we will have to get this little "frog pod" for the kidlet bathtime. too cute
3 comments:
oh, I'm happy to see it done virtually
I like Kermit hopping freely in a pond
When I am bored, I will play with frog guts.
I'm with you on this - the muscle, the skeleton, the tissues and organs, seeing how it's all connected. Otherwise, it's just another G@meboy experience.
Post a Comment