01 April 2007

chinese national holiday - Tree Planting Day

{NOTE: I have a lot of links in this post. For those of you who are not as blog savvy, just click on any of the items that are underlined and it will take you to the article or link. (or at least I hope it will)}

Tree Planting Day has been highly promoted since the late 70's by the reformist government. It marks the beginning of a greening campaign all over the country during the month of April. I have read conflicting reports about this "holiday". Some say is a voluntary tradition in China, however, I have also found this:
"According to a government decision on tree planting issued in
1981, Chinese citizens aged from 11 to 55 are required to plant three to five
trees every year, aiming to increase China's forest coverage rate."
Source:
Xinhua UPDATED: 13:39, April 01, 2007
It is also difficult to determine the exact date for this event. I have seen many dates in March, but I also have seen many sources that list the event to be on April 1. Regardless of the date, or the nature of the "holiday", I like the idea, and thought it worthy of a post.
China has become the country with the most "human planted" trees in the world. Tree Planting day attracts thousands of participants as the Chinese feel it is their duty to help preserve the land and the forests. However, it is also a well-loved tradition used as a symbol to commemorate special occasions such as birthdays, deaths, weddings, children's enrollment in school, or even colleague's service in the military. Tree planting kits are usually provided free and community events are planned in specific areas of need or According to the National Afforestation Commision in Beijing, more than 42 billion trees have been planted in China's parks and forests during the 1982-2003 period!
In 2006 and 2007, the planting focus has become the Olympic Forest Park in Beijing in preparation for the 2008 Olympic Games. Here is a quick article about today's events:
I think what is most interesting about this event is the amount of governmental involvement there is in the both planning and participation. I have come to realize in the last year or so, that the Chinese people HIGHLY value their parks and green space and take great effort to include these spaces within their city fabric. There is an obvious commitment by both the government and its citizens to maintain the "greening" of their country. This holiday is a wonderful tribute to the citizens of China as well as an example for the rest of the world.

2 comments:

"M2" said...

I like hearing good things people are doing for our world, especially China as the media is so full of environmental damages being done. This was refreshing to read

Anonymous said...

maybe they can come over and plant a tree at my house.