06 April 2007

10 things I want to remember about being a kid. . .

. . . even after I am a parent.

[backdated for posterity, blah, blah, blah, see previous post - April 10, 2007]

Today was our 10 month LID-aversary. In honor of this auspicious day (not only are we now in DOUBLE digits, it has also been 18 months since we began our adoption process) I have been thinking about how I want to parent - not just BE A parent, but how I want TO PARENT. Therefore, I have assembled a little list of 10 things I remember from being a kid, that I want to remember even after I am a parent.

1. Regarding FOOD - Peanut Butter is, BY FAR, best eaten directly out of the jar with a spoon.

2. Regarding DRESS CODE - As soon as possible, children should be allowed to make their own clothing choices, as long as they are within appropriate reason. Case in point, in 4th grade, I insisted on wearing a plaid button down shirt along with all of my "Mork and Mindy" regalia including rainbow suspenders, and "Mork and Mindy" button . . . to school picture day. I now have this photo for all of posterity.

3. Regarding CHAPERONES - It is never, I repeat NEVER a good idea to volunteer to be a chaperone at your child's junior high dance. And, if you find yourself in this situation anyway, PLEASE DO NOT DANCE. THIS IS NOT NEGOTIABLE.

4. Regarding MAKE-UP - Make-up can (and will be) applied in the junior high bathroom and removed before going home for the day.

5. Regarding DOUBLE PIERCED EARS, tattoos and similar, etc. - See above - DITTO. (never got a tattoo myself, but there were definitely some battles over ear piercing and holes in the jeans, etc. - I know HEAVY STUFF!)

6. Regarding CHOICES - Choices are good. Provide as much opportunity and information as possible and let kids make their own decision (and deal with the consequences). This is especially important when dealing with Peer Pressure, Religion, etc.

7. Regarding FUN - Let your kids see you having fun. Some of my favorite memories of childhood are those where I watched my parents hanging out with their friends, dancing together at weddings (not at the junior high dances) or entertaining guests.

8. Regarding DRINKING, etc., etc. - Assume your kid has experimented, assume they aren't going to tell you about it, and DON'T assume the worst - just PAY ATTENTION.

9. Regarding ENCOURAGEMENT - Even when your kid decides to give up a few scholarships to go to a tiny little art school far away from home, or convert to a different religion, or live with their boyfriend, let them follow their hearts and passions. TRUST (or at least hope) that you have brought them up right and RESPECT that they will make good decisions. (well, give them the chance)

10. Regarding PATIENCE - ummmmm . . . REQUIRES A LOT. But, I think we have that covered now, don't you think?

I must give credit to my parents for all of these items, EXCEPT for #1 - They NEVER let me eat the peanut butter out of the jar - and I will never forgive them for it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Definitely great things to remember. I really hope I remember all the teenager type things by then!

Anonymous said...

I agree. Especially about the peanut butter and especially if it is Peter Pan. You're right, our parents are great. You'll be a great one too!!