22 April 2007

earth day

[The famous "Blue Marble" photo taken by Apollo 17.]
I don't think I have heard the word "green" as many times as I have this week. And, that is a GOOD thing. Finally, Earth Day is getting the spotlight that it deserves. It seems everyone is getting into the act and I say "get on that bandwagon!" If you want to be trendy, this is the time to do it!

We have been mesmerized all day with a marathon of episodes called "Planet Earth" from the Discovery Channel. You MUST see this show. The series took five years to film and is an unprecedented collection of the wonder that is this planet. It will change the way you see and feel about this world. . . definitely.



We have been doing our small part for quite awhile now, mostly the usual stuff. Living in California makes that a little easier. However, we will be instituting some additional practices into our daily lives this year and plan to instill this philosophy of life to our children, too.




I did some quick research for some sites with activities for the little one:

Earth's Birthday Project - educating children about the earth

Planet Pals

Celebrate the planet with recipes, crafts and games

Activities for Earth Day

Books about Earth Day

Create a Neighborhood Earth Day

Owen & Mzee Kids Boma (Owen & Mzee are the baby hippo & turtle from Tsunami fame)

Earth Day for Kids website sponsored by the US Government

Earth Day for Kids website sponsored by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency)

So, enjoy the day, celebrate our Planet Earth . . . and save some for my kid, ok?



5 comments:

walternatives said...

After watching just two episodes of Planet Earth, we were so impressed that we ordered the DVD set. Such ggod stuff, on so many levels.

wzgirl said...

Dude - Planet Earth, the show, rocks!!! We love it & have each episode stored on our DVR. It is awesome watching. Love it!!!

Anonymous said...

We taped all the Planet Earth episodes on DVR, too, and are going to record them on a dvd this week.

Anonymous said...

I love the Planet Earth series. I have watched almost all of them. However, I am sick of the poor little seals, penguins, deer, etc getting eaten. Cant the other animals become vegans? Poor little bunnies!

"M2" said...

I have them on the DVR too. They are incredible.
I'm so glad I took my adoption loan and bought a huge TV, it's worth it just for "Planet Earth"