09 January 2007

completed

Last night, Paula Zahn Now did a follow-up show due to the enormous response they got from the international adoption community.

For my part, I did receive this enlightening e-mail from CNN thanking me for my comments:


From : Completed - Completed@cnn.com
Sent : Monday, January 8, 2007 2:17 PM
To : ME!
Subject : From CNN

Thanks very much for your email concerning the segment “China Tightens
Foreign Adoption Regulations” that aired on Paula Zahn Now on Friday, January
5th. We value your feedback and want to make sure you have the information
about our upcoming continued reports on this subject.
Tonight’s Paula Zahn NOW will again address the new rules for foreign adoptions of Chinese children. The coverage will include a new report by CNN’s John Vause in
Beijing, China. Paula will be joined by a number of guests to discuss the
issue, including David Youtz, President of the Greater NY Chapter of “Families
With Children From China”, and Ginny Gong, President of the “Organization of
Chinese Americans”.
Again, thank you for taking the time to express your opinion, and please tune in for this follow up report.
Regards,
CNN Public Information


COMPLETED? Ummm, sure, case closed - I'm satisfied with this non-committal form letter . . .

Unfortunately, I did not get to see the show - had to work. However, I did read the transcript. Although there were definitely some brighter spots (the president of Families with Children from China New York - FCCNY - for one), I am still extremely disappointed that CNN chose to turn international adoption into a race debate rather than focus on some real issues the US has with adoption in general - not to mention getting their facts straight.

Speaking of facts - another parent in the chinese adoption community has started a website for Adoption Information Accuracy. You can read Friday night's and last night's transcript from the show , an e-mail response from the woman on the panel from Friday night, Solangel Maldonado, and more.

I have a few things still stewing around in my mind - just might have to send some additional responses back to a few people to get this properly out of my system.

*however, i do feel the need to end this whole mess on a good note*
I am very happy and proud in the participation of the adoption community in making sure our voices were heard on this story. THAT is super cool and you gotta love democracy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got the same email. Lame. I agree with you--I was disappointed in the second show as well, but very proud of all the adoptive parents speaking out.