05 January 2007

the ignorance of CNN

I had never seen the CNN show, Paula Zahn NOW, until tonight. I heard she would be discussing the new regulations for China adoption and decided to tune in. Ummmm, did I miss something? Ummmmm, isn't CNN supposedly a SERIOUS news channel?

Although the show started off normal, somehow it disintegrated into a tabloid style discussion of racial issues in adoption. Never mind that none of the guests on the show (including the lawyer she interviewed as well as all three panelists) knew anything about china adoption - I don't think they knew much about adoption in general. Their comments were presumptuous, ignorant and extremely disrespectful to any adopting parent.

Although I hate the idea of calling attention to such ignorance for fear of "feeding the monster", I felt it important to speak out on this kind of wreckless journalism. And, while I do not have any people who think like this in "my world", I know that this story does nothing but fuel the misunderstanding many people have concerning this complicated issue. And, that is just sad.

I have attached the link to the transcript from tonight's story on Paula Zahn Now - (it is near the end so keep scrolling down).

I have also sent an e-mail to the show to voice my offense (never had such a reaction to do that before):
"I just finished watching Paula Zahn Now where she focused on the new
regulations regarding China adoption. As a waiting parent for a child from
China, I am COMPLETELY APPALLED AND OFFENDED at the story. Not only did it barely gloss over some very complicated new regulations, but the discussion also disintegrated into a debate about racial discrimination, stereotypes and moral character that was ignorant, insulting and very unnecessary.

The people on Paula's panel were obviously not experts in
adoption, not to mention they probably have not been through the adoption
process themselves. I assure you that it is not an easy decision for
anyone to embark on the adoption process. There are so many factors,
qualifications and restrictions in adoption – BOTH DOMESTIC AND
INTERNATIONAL. Prospective parents are put through a rigorous screening
process before being accepted and they often find their options much more
limited than one might think. I found it amazing that this roundtable did
not really engage discussion of these pitfalls and obstacles to most people’s
dreams of adoption (ironically what I thought this news piece was originally
about!)

CNN and Paula Zahn should be ashamed and embarrassed
to showcase the opinions of people that are not knowledgeable or at least
researched enough on a topic to discuss such complicated issues. I view
this group to be presumptuous, hypocritical and ignorant rather than a
legitimate roundtable discussion group. However, unfortunately, for many
viewers, the misinformed words these panelists spewed will be taken to heart and
considered accurate. As a so-called “News Leader”, CNN should take serious
consideration of each and every item that they air and give these topics the
utmost respect to do them justice."

No comments: